HISTORY OF PENIEL PENTECOSTAL HOLINESS CHURCH
The Peniel Pentecostal Holiness Church was
organized under the ministry of Reverend G.W.
Stanley on August 20, 1922 with sixteen members.
The earliest historical record lists nine of the
charter members: Mr. & Mrs. C.A. Neal, Mr. &
Mrs. A.E. Meadows, Mrs. M.J. Meadows, Mrs. Laura
White, Mrs. R.B. Smith, Mrs. J.W. Boles, and
Mrs. F.E. Boles.
Prior to the organization of the church,
Reverend C.A. Stroud and Reverend A.C. Correll
came to the Palmyra community
in August, 1920 searching for a location to
conduct an “old-fashion” tent revival. Mr. J. B.
Greene provided a lot where a tent was erected.
The following weeks the “fallow” ground was
broken and the seeds of the holiness,
Pentecostal message began to be planted.
Reverend Stroud and Reverend Correll returned in
August, 1921 to the same location to continue
ministering as the Lord directed. The preaching
and ministry of these Pentecostal Holiness
preachers touched the lives of several
denominational believers from Methodist,
Baptist, Christian, and Lutheran congregations.
In August of 1922, Reverend A.C. Correll
returned to the Palmyra community
with Reverend G.W. Stanley. The anointed
preaching and ministry of Reverend Stanley and
Reverend Correll began to produce fruitful
results as individuals experienced the saving
grace of Jesus Christ. Others were sanctified as
the holiness message was proclaimed and still
others responded to the Pentecostal message and
were baptized with the Holy Spirit with evidence
of speaking with other tongues as the Spirit
This revival birthed the formation and
organization of the Peniel Pentecostal Holiness Church under
Reverend G.W. Stanley. This band of believers
agreed on the name Peniel as the name of their
new church – for they surely had seen the “face
of God.” One of Peniel’s charter members, Mrs.
Laura White allowed this newly organized church
to meet for Sunday school and preaching services
under a large oak tree in her yard for the rest
of the summer. As the autumn leaves began to
change, the congregation moved into Mrs. White’s
house. Plank seats were constructed and used to
accommodate this new, growing congregation.
The Lord blessed the Pentecostal witness of this
congregation with a plot of land on Rosebud
Road donated by Mr.
Walter W. White. A wood frame building was
constructed and completed in February 1923. The
church is still located on its original site and
has made numerous additions and renovations to
provide a facility that would allow the
congregation to gather together for worship and
be sent out to work for the kingdom of our Lord.
Early Ministry Highlights
The Home Missionary Society was organized in
1929 with Mrs. S. D. Johnson serving as
president. Mrs. Vernie Johnson as
The earliest recorded business meeting
verifiable (original documentation) was held
November 22, 1931. Reverend H.V. Dempsey
officiated. The following officers were elected:
Deacons: J.W. Boles, Herman Boles, & Ollie
Warren. Secretary/Treasurer: Mrs. C.A. Neal.
REGISTER OF PASTORS
Rev. E.R. Suttenfield
Rev. C.W. Martin
Rev. J.L. Parrish
Rev. H.M. Shropshire
There have been
individuals sent out from this congregation to
serve in various ministries throughout the International Pentecostal Holiness Church:
Reverend Thelma Smith
Pastor & Evangelist
Many other individuals are serving in other
denominations and places, advancing the kingdom of God and
fulfilling the “Great Commission.”
The history of the Peniel
Pentecostal Holiness Church was complied by Pastor
Tim Nelson from the original record book dated back
to the early 1930’s, Cornerstone (Western North
Carolina) Conference minutes, an interview with Mrs.
Sadie Hampton, a report written by Don Lawson from
an personal interview with Mrs. Avis Shelton Boles,
and a written report provided by Dexter Carroll.